2 years full-time / part-time unavailable
Master of Philosophy - Science applicants will be assessed using the criteria described below. This includes an assessment of an applicant's knowledge of the discipline and evidence of their ability to complete a rigorous research project.
- To be considered for entry, applicants must have completed:
- A four-year Bachelor degree in a relevant discipline which includes a substantial research component equivalent to at least 25% of one year of full-time study and have achieved a minimum weighted average of 75% in the final year subjects or (University of Melbourne) equivalent; or
- A Masters degree in a relevant discipline which includes a substantial research component equivalent to at least 25% of one year of full-time study and achieved a minimum weighted average of 75% or (University of Melbourne) equivalent; or
- A qualification and professional experience considered to be equivalent;
- Provide referee reports (except for applicants who have graduated from the University of Melbourne within the last 5 years); and
- Have obtained the endorsement of a prospective supervisor. More information regarding how to find a Supervisor is detailed under Apply Now.
Meeting these requirements does not guarantee selection.
2. In selecting applicants, the selection committee will consider the applicants:
- Prior academic performance and, if relevant, professional qualifications;
- Understanding of the research question to be explored;
- Performance at an interview;
- Motivation and capacity to complete the course in a timely manner;
- Relevant prior research and/or professional experience; and
- Referee reports.
3. The selection committee may seek further information
In order to clarify any aspect of an application in accordance with the Selection and Admission Policy.
4. Applicants are required to satisfy the University’s English language requirements
In addition, all applicants (internationally and locally qualified) must meet the University's English language entry requirements. Refer to our Graduate English requirementsfor further information and to view English language entry requirements for the Faculty of Science Coursework Programs for the following approved English language examinations: IELTS (Academic English only), TOEFL (Paper-based and internet-based tests), Pearson Test of English (Academic) and Cambridge English: Advanced/Certificate of Advanced English (CAE).
In exceptional circumstances, the Research Higher Degrees (RHD) Committee may consider for admission a person who does not have qualifications equivalent to a four-year honours degree, if it is satisfied that the person's experience in research and the results of that experience are so outstanding that the person is likely to have the ability to pursue the course successfully. In such cases, or where other minimum standards as specified below are not all met, the School may present an evidence-based case for admittance to the Chair, RHD Committee.
Normally, the evidence of research equivalence would take the form of a research publication record and/or additional significant research experience that would be equivalent to a fourth year. In the case of a three-year honours degree from the United Kingdom the sponsoring department may also provide evidence about the quality of the institution and the quality of the degree, compared with a four-year honours degree.