100 point program
full-time unavailable / part-time unavailable
In order to be considered for entry, applicants must have completed:
- An undergraduate degree with a major in a relevant discipline AND appropriate prerequisite studies for the stream into which entry is sought.
- Students applying for the course in the botany*, earth sciences, genetics or zoology streams must find a supervisor before applying.
- Students applying for the course in the physics stream* must make contact with a minimum of three supervisors from at least two different research areas/groups in order of preference before applying.
- Students applying for this course in the chemistry stream are strongly recommended to make contact with a supervisor before applying.
- Students applying for this course in the mathematics and statistics stream* are required to nominate their preferred specialisations and expected area of focus for the research project when applying.
- Students applying for this course in the computer science stream are NOT required to find a supervisor before applying.
*Students in these streams have the option to complete via coursework alone and in this case do NOT need to meet the supervisor requirements before applying.
How to find a supervisor: Students can search for a supervisor through Find an Expert. Search by name or research theme to find details of all relevant academics available for supervision. Contact the academics directly to discuss supervision.
English Language Requirements
Applicants are required to satisfy the University’s English language requirements for graduate programs. Refer to our Graduate English requirements for further information and to view English language entry requirements for the Faculty of Science Coursework Programs for the following approved English language examinations: IELTS (Academic English only), TOEFL (Paper-based and internet-based tests), Pearson Test of English (Academic) and Cambridge English: Advanced/Certificate of Advanced English (CAE).
The minimum weighted average mark (WAM) and subject specific requirements refer to University of Melbourne grades and subjects. Adjustments to your final weighted average may be made depending on the accreditation of your university/institution, subject grading/scales and pass marks.